Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Why Blog About Food

Blogging everything I eat and drink seems like an odd thing to do, doesn't it? Well, maybe it is, maybe it isn't. You see, food is a pretty important part of my life. I love food, and I'm very interested in nutrition--though I certainly don't make the best choices all of the time. (One of the problems with being well-informed about food is always knowing I could do better, and never being able to eat something bad for me without knowing just how bad it is and why.)

Blogging what I eat and drink takes about five to ten minutes a day; sometimes a little longer. I think the benefits outweigh the time commitment though. First, and most important, it engenders complete awareness of everything I consume. There are actually times when I want to eat something (let's say in the 'poor-choice' category), but I don't eat it because I don't want to blog it. It's embarassing to me, even if I'm the only one reading my food log!

Another advantage is that I can tell quickly if I'm getting 5-10 servings of fruits and veggies a day, and other 'should-haves'. A bonus benefit is knowing exactly when something was prepared. This really comes in handy when looking in the fridge and wondering "is that still okay to eat? when did we make that?" We try new recipes frequently in my house, and it's nice to have a record of what we made and where the recipe is. My food log is also a place I can record my own creations, plus recipes and links I want to remember or share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home